Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Childhood comfort food


This is why I seldom cook Chinese food. The preparation is a pain in the ass that's why. Between Miss Z and myself, we peeled and sliced the Mount Everest of shallots. Why you may ask?

It's the first month into my new Tai-Tai life and frankly, I'm not taking all too well to it. In short, I'm bored, completely out of sorts and not quite sure what to do with myself. There's only so much TV I can watch and golf I can play. Being a Tai-Tai is overrated I say. Although, my swing is getting better.


Anyway, when I'm feeling this disconcerted, I always crave the comfort foods of my childhood. Dishes that my Mum used to make, or foods that my Dad used to love.

The Sunday morning ritual used to be breakfast at Chin Mee Chin, with soft-boiled eggs and homemade nonya kaya slathered on soft buns.

If I pretty-pleased nicely enough, he would take us to eat Beach Road Prawn Mee at East Coast. And please don't ask me why Beach Road Prawn Mee is at East Coast, it never made sense to me either.

And finally.... my favourite weekday dish was Mee Swa Soup. The dish was simple enough, which brings me back to the mountain of shallots.

I'll be re-visiting my childhood favourites, hence the need for massive amounts of fried shallots.

Keep watching this space for Mee Swa Soup, Prawn and Pork Rib Noodle Soup and Nonya Kaya.

No comments:

Post a Comment