Friday, August 13, 2010

The Last Meal

As the week comes to a close, so does the red and white National Day theme, and I'm hard-pressed to find inspiration for the week ahead.

Lately I've been watching Bones, and a song came up in one episode from Nickelback called "Far Away". It's always been one of my favourites, romantic, anthemic and rock & roll all at the same time. Watching the video, it's all about someone being missed far far away... the dread and fear of losing someone such that it feels like if we lost them, it would be our last day on earth.

Which brings me back to the theme. I asked myself:

If I had one last day on earth with my loved one, what would I serve for dinner? What would I like to eat as I see the giant meteor crash down into ocean, evaporate the water instantaneously and steam us all like little human dumplings?

I'd definitely cook up meals that celebrate life, hope and happiness. Nothing sad or even vaguely comforting. Stuff that's bright, lively and embodies everything great about being alive.

The first thing would definitely be breakfast in bed, complete with buttermilk pancakes, creamy scrambled eggs and crisp bacon. Morning heralds the breaking of a new dawn, of hope and light, and of course, snuggling under the sheets and delicious morning sex.

Then there's sunshine and summer. The vibrant colours of pumpkins, apples and beetroot. Perfect for a silky saffron-scented pumpkin and apple soup, and a bright and rosy borscht.

All things decadent and luscious to celebrate passion and luxury. The melting buttery richness of foie gras, complemented with a tart balsamic and raspberry reduction. A crab pasta with a tomato cream sauce, full of chunks of fresh crabmeat, ripe tomatoes and just a hint of cream. A shrimp paella, lavishly scented with the finest Iranian saffron.

Finally, a sweet finish to a life well lived. Desserts that take the bitter and sour in life and turn them sweet. Like lemon meringue pie and bittersweet triple chocolate cake.

Yep, that's what I would cook for my last meals if the world was coming to an end. I can't think of a better way to celebrate life and love than with damn good food.



This time, this place
Misused, mistakes
Too long, too late
Who was I to make you wait
Just one chance
Just one breath
Just in case there's just one left
'Cause you know,
you know, you know

I love you
I loved you all along
And I miss you
Been far away for far too long
I keep dreaming you'll be with me
and you'll never go
Stop breathing if
I don't see you anymore

On my knees, I'll ask
Last chance for one last dance
'Cause with you, I'd withstand
All of hell to hold your hand
I'd give it all
I'd give for us
Give anything but I won't give up
'Cause you know,
you know, you know

I love you
I loved you all along
And I miss you
Been far away for far too long
I keep dreaming you'll be with me
and you'll never go
Stop breathing if
I don't see you anymore

No comments:

Post a Comment