Thursday, August 5, 2010

Project Gnocchi

Alright... I'm giving this one last shot. Fingers and toes crossed that I don't bomb again.

Since I've never tasted the sweet sweet taste of gnocchi success, I'm trying out this recipe. Hopefully, I will be making gnocchi like an Italian grandmother soon.

Since this is a trial run, I'm going to start with a small batch. This is the final proportions I came to for 2 small servings:

  • 225g starchy potatoes
  • 1/2 an egg (as a novice, I'll start with a little more)
  • 1 cup flour
  • Pinch of salt

Although the recipe calls for much less flour, I found the dough to be way to sticky and simply not coming together. So I added more and it seemed to work out just fine.

Right... Boiled the potatoes, mashed them and let them cool. So far, so good.


Spread them out on a floured board, drizzle egg, 3/4 cup flour over and a sprinkle of salt. Then I used a icing knife to scrape and fold, scrape and fold...


Keep adding flour until the dough becomes firm enough to handle, then knead gently. You'll end up with a pretty decent looking ball of dough.


Roll into long strips and cut into 2cm long pieces.


Press the back of a fork into the lumps of dough to make little lines...


At this point, the tension is killing me. Will they hold up? Or fall apart? Or will they be too rubbery? I really can't take the humiliation of defeat AGAIN. My ego is too fragile and may not survive.

I fire up a pot of salted water and as it boils, the suspense mounts...

One lone gnocchi drops into the pot...

As it hits the water, it sinks to the bottom and I'm staring at it intently. It doesn't dissolve... That's a good sign.

I stick a fork into the water and give it a gentle nudge... It holds up ok...

Finally, it floats to the surface, which means it's done.

Tentatively, I fish it out and prepare to give it the taste test. Not much of one since I seldom eat gnocchi, but what the hell.

It's soft with a slight bite to it, with a distinct potato flavour. It's not bad, tastes about right. So, I drop the rest in and toss it with leftover bolognese sauce.

Success! I have conquered the evil potato pillows and am rewarded with dinner. I still don't know why gnocchi is such a big deal. It seems like an awful lot of trouble for something that tastes so subtle. All in all, a rather anti-climactic night. Fuggit... I win and that's all that matters.

2 comments:

  1. I made gnocchi awhile ago too, and found them not only a bitch to prepare but also spongy and gross. BUT next time I had them pan-fried in butter and they are amazing that way! After boiling, fry on both sides in half butter half olive oil until golden brown and crispy, then have them with a light tomato sauce (no meat!) and buffalo mozzarella.
    Love,
    cuz in Canada
    xxooo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like sooooo much work! looks soooo yummy tho!: )

    ReplyDelete