Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Red Rubies in Coconut Milk


I was eight when I learnt to make this from my Aunty Jo. I used to love sitting on the floor of the kitchen of my grandfather's house watching my Aunty cook. It fascinated me to no end, watching her pound spices and cook up a storm from memory, tossing ingredients in by taste and experience. The aromas were intoxicating and I would always score a sneak preview of the day's meals.

I remember asking her for something sweet... and she smiled and said she'd make something special just for me. She showed me how to peel and cut the water chestnuts, and the amazing trick with the plastic bag. I think I may be the only person in the family who has learnt her recipes and it's a tradition worth preserving.

For 2 servings:
  • 8 water chestnuts, peeled and diced into small cubes
  • Tapioca flour
  • 4 drops red food colouring
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • 3 tablespoons water
  • 1 cup coconut milk
  • Crushed or shaved ice

First, make a syrup with the sugar and water. Set aside to cool while you prepare a large pot of boiling water.

Place water chestnuts in a clean plastic bag, add red food colouring and shake well to colour them evenly. Then add some flour and shake. Keep adding flour and shaking until the water chestnuts are evenly coated and turned from red to a light pink.

This, for example, needs more flour:


It's done when it looks like this:


Dump the contents of the bag into boiling water, the red rubies will float to the surface and turn translucent when done. Scoop and rinse through cold water to stop the cooking process, then place in the syrup.

To serve, place red rubies into a bowl, along with any other preferred ingredients like tinned lychees, longans, jelly cubes or date palm seeds (atap chee) along with a heaping of ice and pour over enough coconut milk to cover.

So simple, pretty and refreshing. The perfect dessert for a hot sunny day.

Other items on the Red, White and Ooohhh menu:

No comments:

Post a Comment